Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Stimming?

   Well, I learned something new today!

    I learned that normal people stim!

    According to Wiki, stimming is "Self-stimulatory behavior, also known as stimming[1] and self-stimulation,[2] is the repetition of physical movements, sounds, or repetitive movement of objects common in individuals with developmental disabilities, but most prevalent in people with autistic spectrum disorders.[2][3]"


    I often stim by "flapping" my hand, or shaking any object I'm holding. It's quite comparable to twitching and is a great tell that I'm uncomfortable.
    When my beloved bipolar gets stressed, or when he's talking about something that makes him uncomfortable, he does a crab-like finger crawl thing without noticing.
    I brought it to his attention and he was saying that it used to be a lot worse, and he's gotten it down to just his pinkie finger.
   It looks like most of his fingers to me.

    I guess it's nice to know that other people do these things to.

   Yes, it is MUCH more obvious when I do them, but when he does his crab-finger crawl, I feel so much better knowing that someone I look up to so much relies on the same type of stress relief that I do.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment