Monday, August 22, 2016

Exposure!

    Sorry if I disappointed you, but this post contains no nudity.

   I'm not diagnosed, but I'm almost certain I'm an Aspie, or someone with Asperger's syndrome.
   I could have started an Aspie blog and gone on about how jealous I am of normal people's ability to "tune out" noises that I CAN'T ESCAPE FROM, like the never-ending refrigerator buzz, or how eye contact is such an intimate, physical sensation that it can nauseate me. I chose instead to blog about my husband's brain difference because honestly, there are a bunch of Aspies blogging about being Aspie. A gift of Asperger's is being well written, so anything I could say about my life and experiences has pro'ly been typed out already by another Aspie.
    Bipolar on the other hand, tends to come with inconsistency, which makes blogging a challenge, so I felt that my life experiences would be put to better use if I use my Aspie writing skills to improve bipolar exposure.


    As a note; I really like the descriptive word "Aspie." It's not a horrifying label and I feel it's similar to describing myself as "brunette" or "freckly." It allows me to explain to people with one word that I'm sensitive to smells, mistake noises for human voices, have a hard time talking to people and sometimes take stubbing my toe on the table leg as a personal slight from the table. I might spend the rest of the day wondering what I did to the table to make it so mad at me.
   I see it as a useful, descriptive adjective, so I do tend to use "bipolar" as a descriptive adjective instead of the more popular, removed description of "with bipolar," which sounds to me like a dog's name.
   "He was diagnosed with bipolar," sounds like he was diagnosed in the presence of a puppy named Bipolar.

   My grammar corrector seems awfully offended that I refer to bipolars that way, but I hope humans persons feel differently.
    I hope bipolars can use it to explain with one word that sleep is extremely important to them. That they need extra hugs and sunlight in the winter time, and if they don't talk to their friends for two weeks, they are still good friends, and that when they research something for three days without much food or sleep, what they really need is a good, long night's rest.










No comments:

Post a Comment